Mushroom risotto recipe
“Rich, creamy Italian style vegetarian & vegan risotto”
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cook time: 35 mins
- Total time: 45 mins
- Yield: serves 2-3
This mushroom risotto recipe is an Italian style risotto, meaning that it will be soft and creamy when it is cooked, it should never be dry. A good indication that the risotto is the right consistency is if a spoon pulled through the risotto leaves a soft gash which then fills slowly with the risotto flowing back into the space.
The recipe works well as a main course and also as a side dish. On a cold winter's evening it is the perfect comfort food. There is also an alternative Chicken risotto recipe.
- Put olive oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add the risotto rice, gently heat the rice for 2-3 minutes, until the rice grains look translucent.
- Add the onion, peppers and mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes, being careful not to brown the rice.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer the rice for 25 minutes, adding more vegetable stock of boiling water if necessary to ensure it does not dry out.
- At the end of the cooking time the risotto should be soft, moist and creamy, not dry. You may need to adjust the cooking time to get the right texture. It is always better to leave it slightly wetter than too dry.
- Add the oregano and seasoning and mix well.
- Serve sprinkled with optional grated parmesan or dairy free parmesan style alternative.