Turkey burger recipe
“Great for barbeques, or that burger-in-a-bun craving”
- Yield: makes 10
These wheat & gluten free turkey burgers are made from lean ground turkey, and offer a healthy alternative to many burgers on sale that are often padded out with fillers, such as wheat flour or rusk.
You can add any herbs or flavourings that you like to the basic burger recipe, so why not have a variety of flavours on offer, we like to add a finely chopped jalapeño to the mix for that extra zing on the tastebuds.
For the bar-b-q season they are ideal for cooking in the great outdoors, just stick them on the grill and enjoy.
- Put all the ingredients except the eggs into a large mixing bowl and combine thoroughly.
- Add approximately ¾ of the eggs and mix until all the egg is absorbed into the mixture. Then add the rest of the eggs, if required, as the mixture should look a bit wet/sticky.
- On a rice floured board place a small lightly oiled baking ring or other circular baking cutter and partially fill with the mixture. Compress the mix with the back of a spoon making a well compressed burger approximately 1½ - 2 cm (approx. ½"-¾" thick.
- Slide the burger out of the bottom of the ring onto a rice floured plate and continue making burgers until all the mixture is used up.
- Put a small amount of olive oil into a hot frying pan and place the burgers in. Gently fry the burgers until they are golden brown and cooked all the way through, turning over halfway into the cooking time.
These burgers also grill and barbeque well. Serve in a wheat free burger bun with lettuce and relish or with crispy fries and salad or baked beans.
As long as the ground turkey has not been frozen previously you can also freeze the completed burgers after you have made them, perhaps in advance for an event, or as a great quick meal standby. Simply separate the burgers with small pieces of baking paper to stop them sticking together, then store in airtight bags or freezer boxes. Thaw thoroughly before use.