Bread rolls recipe
“Soft gluten free bread rolls, the perfect accompaniment to that barbecued burger-in-a-bun moment”
- Yield: makes 6
Unless you're on the Paleo diet, then going to a barbecue and eating the burger wrapped in a lettuce leaf is a little less than exciting, and messy. These wheat & gluten free burger buns are soft and non-crumbly, making them the perfect accompaniment to that fresh off the grill burger.
This recipe was adapted from The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread: More Than 200 Wheat-Free Recipes by Bette Hagman.
Ingredients (Measures: Metric | US)
70 g [1⁄2 cup] white rice flour
90 g [1⁄2 cup] tapioca flour
70 g [1⁄2 cup] cornstarch
1 tbsp [1 tbsp] potato flour
1 tsp [1 tsp] xanthan gum
1 tsp [1 tsp] unflavoured vegetarian gelatine (we used Agar flakes)
1 1⁄2 tsp [1 1⁄2 tsp] baking powder
1⁄4 tsp [1⁄4 tsp] salt
1 1⁄2 tbsp [1 1⁄2 tbsp] sugar, divided
225 ml [3⁄4 cup + 2.5 tbsp] warm water
2 1⁄4 tsp [2 1⁄4 tsp] dry yeast
1 tsp [1 tsp] cider vinegar
1 medium [1 medium] egg, beaten
2 tbsp [2 tbsp] olive oil or flavourless oil
Preheat oven: 190°C, 375°F, Gas 5
- Lightly oil 6 baking rings (approx. 3½" diameter), place on a baking tray.
- In a bowl mix together the rice flour, tapioca flour, cornflour, potato flour, xanthan gum, gelatine, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Add 1 teaspoon of sugar to the warm water and sprinkle on the yeast. Set aside to foam slightly.
- In another bowl mix together the remaining sugar, vinegar, egg and oil. Add the yeast mixture.
- Pour the liquid into a well in the middle of the dry flour mix and mix thoroughly, using a wooden spoon beat the mixture until it is smooth, (only takes a couple of minutes).
- Spoon the batter into the prepared rings. Cover lightly with plastic and let rise in a warm place until double in size (generally about 45 mins, but if you have somewhere warm it will be quicker.)
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20-22 minutes.
- When you remove the rolls from the oven, immediately take them out of the rings or they will go soggy, leave to cool on a wire rack.