Spicy chick peas recipe
“Spicy way to serve these nutritious crunchy legumes”
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cook time: 20 mins
- Total time: 30 mins
- Yield: serves 4-6
Chick peas (also known as garbanzo beans) are a nutritious legume containing zinc, folate and protein, with a nutty flavour and texture.
Well known for their use in hummous they make a very quick, easy to prepare meal if you buy them canned, perfect for vegetarian/vegan diets. Dried chick peas take longer to prepare as soaking time needs to be included and you need to start the preparation process the day before.
Ingredients (Measures: Metric | US)
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and gently sauté the chopped onion until it is softened, but not browned.
- Add the chillies, cumin and turmeric and stir fry for about 30 seconds, avoid letting the spices burn.
- Add the drained chick peas, chopped tomatoes and freshly ground black pepper, and simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, serve immediately.
Serve with brown, wild or basmati rice, gluten free pasta, or on their own with a crisp green salad.
The spicy chick peas will store in an airtight glass container in the fridge for a couple of days, and can be reheated for a quick and nutritious snack. Make sure that if being reheated they are thoroughly hot before eating.
Note: I suggest storing this in a glass container as plastic containers will discolour from the turmeric.