Oat crunchies recipe
“The crunchiest, butteriest oat cookies we've tasted”
- Preparation time: 25 mins
- Cook time: 15 mins
- Total time: 40 mins
- Yield: makes 12-14
Just one of these will not be enough... they are without doubt the crunchiest, butteriest wheat & gluten free oat cookies that I have ever tasted.
Plump raisins and tasty nuggets of cashews make these a great all rounder for morning coffee, afternoon tea, a snack on the go, a bit of indulgence in front of the TV, or a good book.
Important note: even using certified gluten free oats it may not be suitable for all celiacs, as some are very sensitive to avenin contained in the oats, see our oats FAQ for more info.
Preheat oven: 170°C, 325°F, Gas 3
- Line two baking trays with baking parchment.
- Put the oats, rice flours, raisins, cashews, xanthan gum and salt in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- In a small saucepan melt together the sugar, butter and syrup over a gentle heat, do not allow to boil or burn. When melted pour this over the dry ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Divide the mix into 12-14 pieces and using your hands roll them into balls. Place on the baking tray and flatten to make a cookie about 6cm (2½") in diameter. They don't have to be perfectly round, and you will find that some of the edges do split a little. The mix will also feel quite greasy at this stage, but the cookies dry out in the oven. Leave space for the cookies to spread a little.
- Scatter the decoration raisins and cashew pieces over the centre of the cookies, then press them lightly down into the cookie.
- Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 15-16 minutes. When cooked remove from the oven and leave on the baking sheets for 10 minutes until they have set. Then transfer onto a wire cooling rack for them to cool completely.
- Once cool these cookies will keep for 2-3 days in an airtight container, but we doubt that there will be any left to store.
If you wanted to make these cookies dairy free/vegan you could substitute the butter with a non-dairy butter replacement such as Vegan Buttery. And if you wanted nut free then leave out the cashews and replace them with more dried fruit.