Treacle tart recipe
“Dr Schär sent us this devilishly good treacle tart recipe for Halloween”
- Yield: serves 8
Dr Schär, the people who bring you Dietary Specials and Glutafin gluten free products, sent us this devilishly good treacle tart recipe for Halloween.
As a Brit living in Canada I initially had a lot of trouble convincing Canadian friends that treacle tart is a real dessert... and very tasty too. It's testimony to how good this treacle tart is because they all took pieces home with them!
Treacle tart is of course also a firm favourite of Harry Potter and pals on the Hogwarts School menu.
Dr Schär DS-shortcrust pastry base:
Alternative pastry base if DS-shortcrust base not available or you want vegetarian pastry:
Preheat oven: 200°C, 400°F, Gas 6
- Grease (using butter, margarine or non-dairy alternative) and line with rice flour an 18cm (7") fluted flan dish (loose bottom preferred).
- If using Dr Schär's shortcrust pastry, follow instructions on packet and knead until smooth on a lightly gluten free flour dusted surface. Then go to step 4.
- If making pastry from scratch, put the flours, sugar and xanthan gum in a large bowl, add the butter and mix until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolk then enough water to mix the pastry to a soft but not sticky dough.
- Line the flan dish with the pastry and trim off the excess.
- Place the golden syrup, butter, lemon zest & juice in a small saucepan and gently warm until the butter has melted.
- Put the breadcrumbs and egg yolk into a large mixing bowl. Pour the golden syrup mixture over and stir until everything is well combined.
- Spoon the mix into the pastry case, place flan dish on a baking tray (hot golden syrup will find its way through the removable base and drip).
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes until the pastry is golden and the treacle topping is just beginning to brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before removing from tin.
Treacle tart can be served warm or cold.
Add a generous portion of whipped cream, hot custard or vanilla ice cream for extra decadence.
Many thanks to Dr Schär, the people who bring you Dietary Specials and Glutafin gluten free products, for sending us this recipe.