Toasted cheesey bites recipe
“Great base for tasty toppings for buffet finger food”
- Yield: serves 2-10
Polenta by itself is a somewhat boring, bland food item, but add various toppings or dips and it becomes the ideal gluten free finger food, it will soak up flavours, and won't fall to pieces in dips or down your shirt.
- Follow instructions on polenta packet to make 'firm' polenta. Once cooked stir in some of the optional chillies to taste and also some of the grated cheese.
- Spread the polenta mix onto a baking tray that has been lined with baking parchment. Polenta should be spread fairly thinly (about 5mm thick, just under ¼"). Leave to set.
- Just before serving is required preheat the grill on high, remove the set polenta from the baking parchment and place it on a heatproof tray or grillpan. Place under the grill and leave to heat until the polenta starts to slightly brown and bubble.
- Remove from under grill, turn the polenta over and repeat heating the other side.
- Remove the grilled polenta from under the grill and generously sprinkle the grated cheese over the top. Place back under the grill and leave until the cheese is bubbling.
- Remove from under the grill, sprinkle some chilli flakes or other herbs onto the bubbling cheese then cut into small triangles or any other preferred shapes. Why not use cookie cutters for a really different or festive look. Serve hot with assorted dips.
These cheesey bites also work well as pizza style finger food, just top with olives, peppers, jalapenos etc and grill.
Dip suggestions: guacamole, salsa or hummous.