Smoked fish pie recipe
“Stuffed with cod, haddock and shrimp in a cheese sauce and topped with crispy mashed potato”
- Preparation time: 30 mins
- Cook time: 40 mins
- Total time: 1 hr 10 mins
- Yield: serves 2-3
Another comfort food recipe. This smoked fish pie is stuffed with cod, haddock and prawns in a cheese sauce, and topped with crispy mashed potato.
If you don't like goats cheddar then substitute ordinary cows milk cheddar.
Preheat oven: 200°C, 400°F, Gas 6
- Put the uncooked cod and haddock into a saucepan and cover with the milk. Bring to the boil then gently simmer for 15 minutes until the fish flakes easily. When cooked remove the fish with a slotted spoon and put aside to cool slightly, reserve the fish flavoured milk.
- In a saucepan using 2-3 tablespoons of the reserved milk, mix the cornflour until smooth. Gently heat and slowly add approximately ¾ of the milk, stirring continously to keep the sauce smooth. When thickened add the cheese, mustard and freshly ground black pepper and stir thoroughly.
- Remove the fish from it's skin by gently taking flakes of flesh, and removing any bones. Put into a bowl, add the prawns and gently mix together. Place the mixture into an ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle the mushrooms over the top of the fish, then cover generously with the cheese sauce.
- Spread the mashed potato over the top, making sure the potato seals to the edges of the dish, and then using a fork rake the top of the potato to help it go crispy.
- Bake on the top shelf for 35-40 minutes if using a deep dish, or 30 minutes if using a shallow dish.