Hazelnut/Yuletide meringue recipe
“Crunchy, chewy, light, airy, nutty... and very very tasty”
- Yield: serves 6 - 8
My mother-in-law used to serve this dessert every Christmas Day in honour of one of my husbands friends who was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident while they were both at University together. She made this dessert every Christmas for over 20 years. If you try it you're sure to agree that it's got something special.
Preheat oven: 180°C, 350°F, Gas 4
- Line base of two 18cm (7") sandwich tins with rounds of baking parchment.
- Beat egg whites with salt until firm, then add 75g (2/3) of the sugar and beat again.
- In a separate bowl mix the remaining 35g (1/3) sugar with the ground hazlenuts and polenta, then fold this mixture into the egg whites.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the tins and smooth the tops.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Turn the meringues out of the tins carefully, they are fragile, and cool on a wire rack.
- When meringues are completely cold sandwich them together using the whipped cream and fruit.
- Decorate the top with cream and fruit.