“Crunchy biscuits that are just perfect with a creamy cup of hot chocolate”
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cook time: 30 mins
- Total time: 40 mins
- Yield: makes 24
When I was growing up shortbread biscuits were always a Christmas treat, they'd arrive in a real tin—not a plastic packet—and my brother and I would fight to be the first to choose the shape we wanted.
You can eat these shortbread biscuits anytime, and with a creamy cup of hot chocolate they are a luxury we don't have to wait until the festive season to enjoy.
Preheat oven: 170°C, 325°F, Gas 3.
- Put butter and sugar into a large mixing bowl and beat together until they are creamy and well mixed.
- Add the eggs gradually, beating well to mix, the mixture will take on a slightly curdled look, but this will disappear when the dry ingredients are added.
- Add the rice flour and ground almonds and mix well until a soft dough is formed, you will find it easiest to use your hands.
- Line a heavy bottomed baking tray with baking parchment. Size of tray approximately 30cm x 22cm (12" x 9").
- Place the dough on the baking parchment and then place another sheet of parchment over the top, gently roll the dough out between the two sheets using a rolling pin to a depth approximately 10-12mm thick. It won't fill the tray exactly, but the dough is stiff enough that when rolled out it will stay in the rolled shape.
- With a thin knife cut the shortbread dough into 30 pieces, or less if you want larger biscuits. You will need to clean the knife regularly while cutting.
- Lightly prick the shortbread with a fork on the top.
- Put shortbread into the oven for 30 minutes.
- When the cooked shortbread is removed from the oven sprinkle lightly with caster sugar, run a knife through the cuts made before cooking to separate the biscuits, and then leave on the baking sheet for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Transfer the shortbread biscuits to a cooling rack, and make sure they are completely cold before storing in an airtight tin.
Many thanks to Jerry Hart for taking the time to send us this wheat & gluten free shortbread recipe.