Polenta in spicy tomato sauce recipe
“Don't write off polenta as boring until you've tried this recipe”
- Preparation time: 8 hrs
- Cook time: 30 mins
- Total time: 8 hrs 30 mins
- Yield: serves 2-3
Polenta tends to be a bland, uninteresting grain unless you flavour it, this recipe adds some spicy tomato sauce, cheese and veggies and makes it a tasty brunch, light lunch or dinner item.
Preheat oven: 200°C, 400°F, Gas 6
- Make up the polenta following the packet instructions for 'firm' polenta. Spread evenly in a shallow baking tray lined with baking parchment and allow to cool for at least 8 hours, until very firm.
- Remove polenta from tray and cut into shapes, i.e. squares approx 5cm square, or circles. Lightly oil an ovenproof dish on the base with the olive oil, then arrange the polenta shapes in the dish.
- In a small saucepan put the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, tobasco and chilli and bring to the boil, then allow to simmer until the mixture reduces and thickens a little.
- Spread the sliced peppers on top of the polenta then cover the entire contents of the dish with the tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over the tomato sauce, and then bake in the oven for 25 mins.