Pizza (rice based crust) recipe
“Wondering what to do with that leftover cooked rice? Use it to make the base for this very tasty pizza”
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cook time: 30 mins
- Total time: 40 mins
- Yield: makes one large pizza crust (serves 1-2)
There is nothing in the eating universe that says pizza crust has to be dough based, so this pizza crust is actually rice based. It's a super easy way to make a pizza if you have some leftover cooked rice.
wheat-free.org says: we loved this pizza, the base ended up a bit crunchy on the bottom and was really tasty, and combined with our chosen toppings and mozzarella cheese it made a very filling lunch for two people.
- Mix the rice, eggs and 1 cup of the cheese. Put this mixture into a greased frying pan and pat down [wf.org: we used a 23cm (9") cast iron frying pan, but 25cm (10") would also work]. Cover and cook at medium-low for 15 minutes. This rice base will be your crust, and at this stage the crust should be slightly brown and beginning to set.
- Combine oregano, salt, garlic powder and tomato sauce to make sauce (or use a commercial pizza sauce of your choice).
- Spread the sauce on the base. Top with toppings of your choice. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup of cheese over the sauce. Cover and cook 10 minutes at the same heat.
- Uncover and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serves 1 or 2 and is very filling, even better the next day.
Many thanks to Erin Reed, BC, Canada for taking the time to share this recipe.