Tomato & red pepper soup recipe
“Quick to make winter comfort food with a smokey kick”
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cook time: 30 mins
- Total time: 40 mins
- Yield: serves 4-6
This soup is amazingly easy to make, and the flavour is absolutely wonderful.
The amount of paprika in the recipe gives the soup a really spicy kick, however you can reduce the quantity of paprika if required without losing any of the flavour.
If you wanted a smooth tomato soup then simply let it cool slightly and transfer in batches to a liquidiser or food processor. Blend until the soup is smooth then return to the saucepan and reheat gently. However I like a solid, rustic feel to this soup so I serve it "lumpy".
- Gently sauté the onion and red pepper in the olive oil for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the paprika and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the vegetable stock, tomato juice and red lentils, bring to the boil then cover with a lid and reduce the heat.
- Cook on a gentle heat for 25-30 minutes until the lentils are soft.
- Remove from heat, season with freshly ground black pepper and serve immediately in warmed bowls.
As an optional extra sprinkle some freshly grated parmesan on top.