Tomato & red pepper soup recipe
“Quick to make winter comfort food with a smokey kick”
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cook time: 30 mins
- Total time: 40 mins
- Yield: serves 4-6
This soup is amazingly easy to make, and the flavour is absolutely wonderful.
The amount of paprika in the recipe gives the soup a really spicy kick, however you can reduce the quantity of paprika if required without losing any of the flavour.
If you wanted a smooth tomato soup then simply let it cool slightly and transfer in batches to a liquidiser or food processor. Blend until the soup is smooth then return to the saucepan and reheat gently. However we liked the solid, rustic feel to this soup so we served it "lumpy".
- Gently sauté the onion and red pepper in the olive oil for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the paprika and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the vegetable stock, tomato juice and red lentils, bring to the boil then cover with a lid and reduce the heat.
- Cook on a gentle heat for 25-30 minutes until the lentils are soft.
- Remove from heat, season with freshly ground black pepper and serve immediately in warmed bowls.
As an optional extra sprinkle some freshly grated parmesan on top.