Hot chocolate toddy recipe
“Creamy hot chocolate recipe with a bit of an alcoholic kick, this one is for adults only”
- Yield: serves 1
When you need a bit of a warm up on a cold, wintery day this hot chocolate toddy is just the thing. Containing rum it will warm you from your toes to your ears. This is a great après ski drink, perfect for thawing out those frozen ski boot toes.
Of course, it's not for children, but you can make them our non-alcoholic hot chocolate so that they won't think they are missing out.
Warning: this recipe contains alcohol
- Place chocolate in a medium bowl.
- Put milk into a small saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Pour one quarter of the boiling milk onto the chocolate, then whisk the chocolate and milk until the chocolate has melted and combined well with the milk. Whisk the rum in.
- Return the remaining three quarters of the milk to the heat and bring back to the boil.
- Pour the remaining boiling milk over the chocolate rum milk whisking continously. You are aiming to get a frothy texture to the hot chocolate. Alternatively you can use one of those small battery powered whisks to do the same task.
- Pour into a warmed mug and top with a generous spoonful of whipped cream and a fine sprinkle of grated nutmeg before drinking immediately.
This drink will really make your toes curl. You can reduce the amount of rum used if it's a bit too overpowering for your tastes... and don't drive after drinking it.