Cheese & leek tart recipe
“Light vegetarian meal that is great hot or cold”
- Preparation time: 30 mins
- Cook time: 45 mins
- Total time: 1 hr 15 mins
- Yield: Serves 6-8
This cheese & leek tart is perfect to serve up for your ovo-lacto vegetarian dinner guests, and they certainly won't feel that they're missing out. Either make one large tart, or make several individual ones and serve as an appetizer/starter with a few salad leaves or watercress base.
I've also found that this tart goes down very well at pot lucks, barbeques, picnics, in bagged lunches etc. even with the meat-eating BBQ loitering guests. Hot or cold it's very tasty and filling. There is also a version without cheese, leek tart recipe.
Preheat oven: 200°C, 400°F, Gas 6
- Place the leeks and olive oil in a saucepan and sweat until the leeks are softened.
- Make a strong vegetable stock using the stock cube and boiling water, pour it over the leeks, simmer the leeks uncovered, stirring regularly until all the stock has been absorbed. Do not let the leeks burn.
- Mix the flours, fat and xanthan gum until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add water until it binds into pastry.
- Oil and brown rice flour a 20-22 cm (8"-9")diameter flan dish.
- Place the pastry mix into the dish, pressing it around the sides with your hands to make a pastry case. Note: It will be too fragile to use a rolling pin to roll out.
- Prick the pastry base with a fork.
- Place half the grated cheese in the bottom of the pastry case. Spoon the leeks on top of the cheese.
- Mix the yogurt with the eggs and season with freshly ground black pepper. Pour over the leeks.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top, and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 40-45 minutes until golden brown and firm on top.