Banana oat energy bars recipe
“Fantastically tasty, chewy, energy bar with yummy bananas and luscious dried cranberries”
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cook time: 30 mins
- Total time: 40 mins
- Yield: makes 8 large bars
This is a great homemade energy bar that isn't overloaded with added sugar—just containing fruit sugars. The oats help provide a sustained energy release making it ideal for sport refuelling, or an office pick-me-up instead of that sugar laden commercially produced muffin calling your name at the coffee shop.
Important note: even using certified gluten free oats it may not be suitable for all celiacs; some celiacs are very sensitive to avenin contained in the oats, see our oats FAQ for more info.
This recipe was adapted from a recipe in Eat To Live: The Amazing Nutrient-Rich Program for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss, Revised Edition .
Preheat oven: 180°C, 350°F, Gas 4
- Line a baking pan 23cm square (9" square) with baking paper.
- Put all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix together until they are well combined.
- Tip into the baking pan and spread equally, press down to consolidate.
- Bake for 30 minutes, remove from oven and immediately lift the banana oat bars from the pan still in the baking paper, leave to cool on a wire rack.
- When cool, cut into 8 large bars or 12-16 smaller ones.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container.