Wholesome Flax Bread recipe
“We love this gluten free flax bread recipe for lunch boxes, it doesn't crumble and makes a perfect sandwich... tastes good cold too”
- Yield: yield: 12-18 slices
This flax bread recipe is reproduced with permission from The Allergy-Free Cook Bakes Bread: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free .
If you want to know what the wheat-free kitchen thought of this wheat & gluten free flax bread recipe, or the book itself, then check out our book review.
We love this gluten free bread recipe for bagged lunches as it doesn't crumble and makes a perfect sandwich.
Please note: we used a bread tin that was slightly larger than the bread recipe required, this is why the bread doesn't look as tall as the smaller photo, which used a bread tin of the recommended size.
Preheat oven: 180°C, 350°F, Gas 4
- Lightly oil an 8½x4½ inch loaf pan.
- Put 1 cup of the water in a large measuring cup, Stir in the maple syrup (WF.org: we used agave nectar) and yeast. Let stand for about 5 minutes, until the yeast has bubbled and foamed about ½ inch.
- Put the remaining ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon of water in a heavy-duty stand mixer or a large bowl. Stir in the 3 tablespoons of the flaxseeds. Let stand until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Put the remaining ¼ cup of flaxseeds, the sorghum flour, arrowroot starch, quinoa flour, garfava flour, tapioca flour, xanthan gum, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir with a dry whisk until combined.
- Add the oil and vinegar to the thickened flaxseed mixture. Using the stand mixer or a hand mixer, beat on medium for about 30 seconds, until well combined. Turn the mixer to low speed and gradually add the proofed yeast mixture and the flour mixture to make a dough. Turn off the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Resume mixing on medium-high speed for 5 minutes. The dough will be very sticky, similar to thick muffin batter.
- Scrape the dough into the prepared pan using a rubber spatula. Smooth out the top. Let rise uncovered in a warm, draft-free place for about 70 minutes, just until the dough reaches the top of the pan.
- About 10 minutes before the dough is done rising, preheat the oven to 350°F. (If the dough is rising in the oven, be sure to remove it first.)
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the top of the loaf is browned and a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Carefully remove the loaf from the pan and put it on a cooling rack. Let cool completely before slicing.
Per slice: calories 117, protein 3g, fat 4g, carbohydrate 18g, dietary fibre 3g, sodium 145mg
This recipe is copyright © Laurie Sadowski, The Allergy-Free Cook Bakes Bread: Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Egg-free