Crispy king prawns recipe
“Light, crispy gluten free tempura style batter makes these the perfect, irresistible buffet treat”
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cook time: 30 mins
- Total time: 40 mins
- Yield: makes 30
One of the treats we used to love (pre-wheat allergy) was going to the local Chinese takeaway and picking up crispy king prawns with sweet & sour sauce, well now it's entirely achievable once again. With the addition of rice and a sweet & sour sauce these crispy king prawns can quickly be turned into a full, and very tasty, Chinese takeaway style meal.
They are also a great finger food recipe with their crispy tempura style batter, just perfect for buffets or parties.
Although we use groundnut oil for the deep frying, if you have a nut allergy then you could substitute it for another suitable oil.
- Dry prawns on kitchen paper, very important to do this or the batter will not stick to the prawns.
- Mix gluten free flour, cornstarch and baking powder with enough water to make a fairly thick batter that will coat the prawns and not slide off.
- Heat the oil until a drop of batter will sizzle and brown fairly quickly in it.
- Carefully drop 6-7 batter coated prawns into the oil and allow to cook until batter has puffed up and turned golden brown, takes approximately 1½-2 minutes.
- Remove cooked crispy prawns with a slotted metal spoon and place on a plate lined with several sheets of kitchen paper to drain. Keep warm in a moderate oven until all prawns are fried.
These make a wonderful addition to the buffet table or as a starter, especially if served with a selection of dips.
This recipe contains nut oil, if you want to avoid using this then simply substitute with another flavourless oil suitable for deep frying.