Chicken tikka masala recipe
“For those days when only a curry will do; we've cleaned it up a bit to get the fat and calories counts down too”
- Preparation time: 45 mins
- Cook time: 30 mins
- Total time: 1 hr 15 mins
- Yield: serves 4
How often do you wish you could go out for a curry without having to worry that it's got wheat or gluten in it? Tired of just having boiled rice, poppadoms, mango chutney, and steamed vegetables while everyone else eats curry? This chicken tikka masala recipe is really good; I think so good you may never miss the curry house again... the only downside is you'll have to make it yourself.
There are numerous variations of the chicken tikka masala recipe, and a lot of them have calorie and fat counts that will blow your eyebrows off before you even taste them. This recipe is, I think, one of the healthiest versions around so you can tuck in more often..
Serve with rice, mango chutney, and poppadoms (check for wheat & gluten free poppadoms) and you'll be in curry bliss.
Tikka masala marinade
Chicken tikka masala
To make tikka masala marinade:
- Put all the marinade ingredients into a bowl and mix thoroughly together. Marinade is then ready for use.
To make chicken tikka masala:
- Put the chicken pieces into the tikka masala marinade. Ensure that they are well coated and leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onion until it is soft but barely browned. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the turmeric, chilli and coriander. Mix well.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and peppers and sauté for 2-3 minutes more. Remove 1/2 cup of mixture and purée, then return purée to saucepan.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade, making sure that a generous amount of marinade stays on them. Add to the tomato mixture and mix everything together.
- Cover the saucepan with a lid, bring contents to the boil then turn heat down and leave to simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with rice, or in a bowl with wheat & gluten free naan or poppadoms for dipping. Mango chutney also adds a tasty finishing touch.